Gian Piero Gasperini held a press conference on 22 August 2026, the day before Roma's Serie A opener against Fiorentina at the Stadio Olimpico on Monday evening. The head coach expressed satisfaction with the club's summer business but acknowledged gaps remain. "Numerically we have the possibility to have 23 players in the squad and at this moment we still have 2 empty slots," Gasperini said. "Four players have arrived. Molina is an important player, a mature and solid world champion. Dovbyk and Ferguson departed and Castro has arrived, a boy certainly of value. Then Koulierakis arrived, a player we didn't have in defence with these characteristics. Now Mora has arrived, but El Shaarawy, Venturino and Zaragoza left. One has arrived, I hope for another. Then Angeliño and Tsimikas departed, and I hope we can replace them too."
Gasperini noted Roma faced constraints absent from most Italian rivals. "There is FFP that is limiting—perhaps Roma is the only club in Italy that must pay for this situation," he said, adding the restrictions stemmed from the club's history rather than recent decisions. He praised players who reduced their contracts, including Dybala, Pellegrini and Cristante. The coach emphasized the squad's competitive ambition despite the financial framework: "We are used to looking ahead. In relation to our possibilities we are satisfied. We will be even more so in ten days, I hope the ownership will be too."
On recent recruitment strategy, Gasperini explained Roma originally pursued higher-profile names but adapted. "We started with very high profiles and that is not new," he said. "We had to confront the need to keep the wage bill within a certain limit and we were not able to take established players with those characteristics. The society made investments in other profiles; I believe we have good variety." He detailed the departures and arrivals: Çelik was swapped for Molina, while Ferguson and Dovbyk exiting made room for Castro. Koulierakis and Mora were also brought in. Gasperini described the transfer approach as "creative but very positive."
On Dybala's prospects, Gasperini said: "I am certain of it, because I see him not only determined as he was also last year but also particularly strong. He completed a preparation that perhaps for a long time he was unable to complete, without injuries." The coach noted Dybala was 32 years old and in his peak technical and physical maturity. Gasperini left open the possibility of further signings if market conditions permitted, but stressed only players who represented genuine value would arrive. Roma remain in the Serie A title race after finishing third with 73 points last season.
Story Coverage5 sources on this story
Roma completed their summer transfer window with Gian Piero Gasperini expressing public satisfaction tempered by deeper frustration at the club's inability to secure headline signings. The coach confirmed at his 22 August press conference that new arrivals include Álex Molina as Zeki Çelik's replacement, Christos Koulierakis as a defensive reinforcement, Rodrigo Mora as a young investment, and Mateo Castro following Artem Dovbyk and Evan Ferguson's departures. Key outgoings also included El Shaarawy, Bryan Zaragoza, Angeliño and Kostas Tsimikas. Gasperini praised the incoming players for accepting reduced wages and their desire to join Roma, while highlighting significant salary cuts from Paulo Dybala, Lorenzo Pellegrini and Bryan Cristante.
The underlying constraint shaping this window is UEFA Financial Fair Play regulation. Roma remain the only Italian club currently under UEFA supervision, having already received two deferrals and unable to secure further relief. Gasperini stated: "The profile is only that of UEFA; there are no other possibilities." Forza Roma reports that Gasperini had initially pursued ready-made attackers—Greenwood, Summerville, Nusa and Fofana—but these proved unsustainable within FFP parameters, forcing a strategic pivot toward younger talent like Mora. The failed pursuit of Moreira, who joined AC Milan instead, exemplifies this gap between ambition and execution. With ten days remaining, two squad slots are available from a full 23-player complement. Gasperini confirmed interest in a left-back, with Oosterwolde reportedly close, and a left winger, though he stressed additions would only materialize if they offered genuine added value. On fitness, he expressed optimism about Paulo Dybala, who completed pre-season without the serious injuries that sidelined him for three-and-a-half months last season.
AI synthesis of all sources below — always check the originals.
Testo Originale / Source Text
“È il giorno di Gian Piero Gasperini. Il tecnico della Roma parlerà oggi alle ore 13:30 in conferenza stampa alla vigilia dell’esordio in campionato contro la Fiorentina, in programma lunedì sera allo Stadio Olimpico. Attesa per le parole dell’allenatore giallorosso sulle condizioni della squadra,…”
Read the full article in Italian at GialloRossi.net.