Gian Piero Gasperini held a press conference on 22 August ahead of Roma's Serie A opener against Fiorentina on Monday evening at the Stadio Olimpico, addressing the club's transfer activity and the constraints imposed by UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules. The head coach confirmed that four players have arrived this summer—Molina, Castro, Koulierakis, and Rodrigo Mora—while Artem Dovbyk and Evan Ferguson have departed and others including Stephan El Shaarawy, Bryan Zaragoza, and Lorenzo Venturino have left. Angeliño and Kostas Tsimikas have also exited, leaving gaps Gasperini hopes to fill. Despite the arrivals, Gasperini said the squad remains numerically incomplete, with two open roster slots out of a possible 23-player matchday squad.
Gasperini expressed satisfaction with the calibre of incoming players, noting that "Molina is an important player, a world champion already mature and solid" and that Castro "took the train" to join Roma. On Mora, the 21-year-old Argentine forward, Gasperini said: "Mora is very young but has already reached important values. Two years ago at Porto he scored 10 goals. It's an important investment by the club, especially for the future. He has all the characteristics to emerge and do well." The manager acknowledged that Roma's wage bill constraints prevented pursuit of more established attacking talent: "We started with very high profiles and it's not a novelty. We had to contend with the need to keep the wage bill within a certain limit and we couldn't get established players with those characteristics." Gasperini praised the sacrifice of senior players: "I'm also satisfied with the attitude of Dybala, Pellegrini, Cristante, who have reduced their contracts considerably."
Gasperini revealed that Roma is the only Italian club currently under UEFA control paying the penalty. "There is the FFP that is limiting; perhaps Roma is the only club in Italy that has to pay this situation," he said. "It stems from the past and we don't feel too responsible, but it is so." He explained that the original transfer strategy changed midway through the window due to FFP restrictions: "The profile is only that of UEFA; there are no other possibilities. If we had made Summerville perhaps we wouldn't have been able to do anything else." Roma has already received two payment deferrals and cannot obtain further relief, forcing the club into what Gasperini termed a "creative" market. He added: "Roma has already had two deferrals and probably cannot have any more. Now the reckoning has arrived, but we'll do well anyway."
On Paulo Dybala's fitness prospects, Gasperini expressed confidence: "I'm sure he can play more matches this season because I see him not only determined as he was last year but also particularly strong. He completed a preparation that perhaps for some time he hadn't been able to complete, without injuries." The manager noted Dybala was unlucky last season with two significant injuries—one suffered during a penalty against Milan and another during a free kick against Torino that cost him a meniscus injury and three-and-a-half months out. Gasperini indicated further squad changes may occur only if they strengthen Roma: "If there will be other departures, it's only for changes, to switch. At this moment there's nothing certain." The left wing position remains a priority only if the right player becomes available within FFP constraints.
Testo Originale / Source Text
“È il giorno di Gian Piero Gasperini. Il tecnico della Roma parlerà oggi alle ore 13:30 in conferenza stampa alla vigilia dell’esordio in campionato contro la Fiorentina, in programma lunedì sera allo Stadio Olimpico. Attesa per le parole dell’allenatore giallorosso sulle condizioni della squadra,…”
Read the full article in Italian at GialloRossi.net.