Mancini: Champions League is in our hands, we cannot afford mistakes
Serie A·14 May 2026·98d ago

Mancini: Champions League is in our hands, we cannot afford mistakes

Source: Forza Roma

Gianluca Mancini spoke about Roma's push for Champions League qualification ahead of two crucial final matches. The defender attended the premiere of a documentary about Aldair, a Roma legend, where he addressed the team's ambitions. Mancini emphasized Roma's focus on controlling their own destiny in the title race, stating: "As I have said many times, we think about ourselves. We know that two matches remain, Sunday or Monday, we do not know yet, but there will be an important match, and the next one will be the same. So we are competing based on ourselves, knowing that we must make few mistakes and train hard as we are doing, to arrive at the matches as we are doing."

With the derby della Capitale approaching, Roma faces a decisive window in their Champions League bid. The team's success depends on strong performances in their final two fixtures, with minimal room for error. Mancini also paid tribute to Aldair, the Roma defender from an earlier era. He said of the legend: "They told me about him, I was very small, but I saw him in videos and they told me to discover what he was, and he was truly an excellence as a defender, a phenomenon, a great. Then I also got to know him as a person and he is truly a great person. It is nice to be here tonight for him."

● AI Generated Summary

This summary was generated by an AI model. Always read the source for complete and accurate information.

Testo Originale / Source Text

"Come ho detto tante volte, noi pensiamo a noi stessi. Sappiamo che mancano due partite, domenica o lunedì, non sappiamo ancora, ma ci sarà una partita importante", le parole del difensore Redazione 14 maggio - 14:53 La Roma si prepara a giocare un derby che può essere decisivo in vista della corsa…

Read the full article in Italian at Forza Roma.

Read original on Forza Roma

More Serie A

Pisilli and Wesley recover as Roma prepare for Fiorentina; Gasperini to address media on Saturday
Squad NewsInjury AI
2h ago

Pisilli and Wesley recover as Roma prepare for Fiorentina; Gasperini to address media on Saturday

Roma will begin their 2026-27 season on Monday evening at the Olimpico against Fiorentina. In Friday's training session at Trigoria, centre-back Niccolò Pisilli and forward Wesley both returned to full availability. Pisilli trained regularly with the squad after a recent knock, while Wesley, who had been working partially with the group, is targeting full fitness to start against Fiorentina. The club continues preparations as it pursues final transfer targets to complete the roster. Gasperini will hold his first pre-match press conference of the new season on Saturday at 13:30, where he is expected to discuss team selection and tactical plans ahead of the Fiorentina fixture.

Gasperini to hold pre-match press conference on Saturday ahead of Fiorentina opener
Press ConferenceSerie A AI
2h ago

Gasperini to hold pre-match press conference on Saturday ahead of Fiorentina opener

Roma head coach Gian Piero Gasperini will address the media on Saturday 23 August at 13:30 from the Fulvio Bernardini press room to preview Monday's Serie A opener against Fiorentina. The match kicks off at 20:45 on 26 August in the first fixture of the 2026–27 season. Gasperini is expected to discuss several topics including the potential involvement of Rodrigo Mora, the club's ongoing transfer activity in the final days of the window, and Roma's campaign launch. Starting the season well is crucial, though August presents challenges with numerous clubs navigating squad changes as the transfer market remains open.

Pellegrini sidelined: when Roma captain can return
InjurySquad News AI
3h ago

Pellegrini sidelined: when Roma captain can return

Lorenzo Pellegrini will miss Roma's opening fixture against Fiorentina on Monday evening and the subsequent away match at Lecce on 31 August as he continues his recovery from a right thigh rectus femoris injury. The number 7 requires further time before returning to Gasperini's squad. Pellegrini is expected to resume group training in the first days of September, with the aim of being available for Roma's home fixture against Atalanta on Saturday 5 September at the Olimpico. His absence represents a significant blow to the midfield as Roma prepare for the new season in Serie A.

More on Gianluca Mancini

Player profile →
Mora has four days to convince Gasperini ahead of Fiorentina clash; Soulé's starting place at risk
Squad NewsSerie A AI
9h ago

Mora has four days to convince Gasperini ahead of Fiorentina clash; Soulé's starting place at risk

Rodrigo Mora impressed in his first training session and now has four days to convince Gasperini he deserves the starting role in Roma's match against Fiorentina on Monday. The Portuguese forward will compete with Matías Soulé for the trequartista position in a 3-4-1-2 formation that Roma trialled on 19 August. Paulo Dybala and Donyell Malen are set to start as the two strikers, with Mora eyeing an opportunity to stake his claim in the role that suits him best. Soulé's availability for the match remains uncertain as AC Milan continues to press for his signature, alongside English club Sunderland. The competition for places elsewhere in the team appears settled: Molina is ready to make his debut, Wesley will start at left-back, Bryan Cristante and Manu Koné will operate in midfield, and the defensive line in front of Mile Svilar will comprise Gianluca Mancini, Evan N'Dicka, and Mario Hermoso. Gasperini's early feedback on Mora has been positive, giving the forward genuine scope to earn a starting berth.

Mora completes Roma's shirt number puzzle with number 86
Squad NewsTransfer News AI
11h ago

Mora completes Roma's shirt number puzzle with number 86

Rodrigo Mora has been assigned shirt number 86 at Roma, completing a historical milestone for the club. The Portuguese player, a class of 2007 talent, chose the number on 19 August, and it marks the first time the 86 has been worn since Roma introduced fixed squad numbers in the 1995–96 season. Mora wore the number at Porto and had worn the 10 in UEFA Youth League there; across Portugal's national youth levels he has worn 11, 24, 20, 17, 28, and 10 in Under-21, but returns to the 8 and 6 combination familiar from his time at Porto. The 86 was the final unassigned number in Roma's history of squad allocation, a gap that has persisted for three decades. Though some numbers have been selected but never worn in matches—such as the 84 given to Del Bello and Louakima in 2022–23 and the 79 assigned to Edoardo Morucci in European League action last January without deployment—the 86 remained untouched until Mora's arrival. The club's iconic numbers include the 10 retired for Francesco Totti since 28 May 2017, the 21 currently worn by Paulo Dybala, the 23 of Gianluca Mancini, the 22 of Mario Hermoso, the 5 of Falcao, the 6 of Aldair, the 16 of Daniele De Rossi, and the 9 of Roberto Pruzzo. Mora will now seek to make the 86 uniquely his own in Roma colours.

Il RomanistaRead original →
Mora arrives in Rome to roaring welcome; Mancini on Gasperini's demands; Fofana deal awaits Friedkin green light
Transfer NewsSquad News AI
22h ago

Mora arrives in Rome to roaring welcome; Mancini on Gasperini's demands; Fofana deal awaits Friedkin green light

Rodrigo Mora landed at Ciampino yesterday to a reception of nearly 500 supporters as Roma completed the Portuguese attacking talent's signing. The 19-year-old expressed his gratitude in an official interview: "I want to thank Roma and Porto. I'm very happy to be here, and I thank the fans for the support they showed me at the airport. I'm very pleased and hope to have a great season here." José Mourinho endorsed the move, calling Mora "one of the greatest talents in Portuguese football. Technically very strong, a creative player who unbalances matches. I think Roma fans will love him." Meanwhile, Roma remain in talks over striker Malick Fofana from Lyon. An agreement in principle is in place for €35 million plus bonuses, but the deal is conditional on Lyon's European preliminary round results and awaits approval from the Friedkin Group ownership, who are reluctant to commit such a sum without significant departures or cheaper payment structures, mindful of financial fair play constraints. Defender Gianluca Mancini discussed the challenge ahead under Gian Piero Gasperini in an interview with Sky Sport. On competing in the Champions League for the first time, he said: "Yes, we pursued it for some years. Last season we secured it and we can't wait to take part in this beautiful competition." He added on Gasperini's training intensity: "I think all preparations are tough because you come from a holiday period and when you restart in the heat the first sessions are tough everywhere, what the manager and his staff do is put us in the right conditions to face the season in the best way possible. We as a group follow exactly what he tells us to do." Manu Koné is expected to remain at Roma after Manchester United withdrew from the race for the French midfielder.

Feedback